Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Leader in Me

This summer my school has been participating in a book study on the late Stephen R. Covey's book, The Leader in Me.  I was saddened to learn that he died at the age of 79 at the beginning of this week, due to complications from a bicycle accident that he was in back in April.
I highly recommend reading this book!  It is such a motivating book about teaching kids 21st Century Skills.  I am super excited to implement the 7 Habits into our school!  This last spring, our entire staff had the privilege of going on a field trip to another school in our city that uses the 7 Habits.  After leaving that school, our staff felt very enlightened and ready to take the 7 Habits back to our school.  We are in full gear, preparing to make this school year one in which we find leadership qualities in all of our students.    

Our school has also purchased copies of this book to share with the students.
In addition, some of us have begun to make our own 7 Habit Tree banners from Vistaprint such as this one:
If you are not familiar with the 7 Habits, here is a brief description:
Be Proactive I am a responsible person.  I take initiative. I choose my actions, attitudes, and moods.  I do not blame others for my wrong actions.  I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.
Begin With The End In Mind I plan ahead and set goals.  I do things that have meaning and make a difference.  I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school's mission and vision, and look for ways to be a good citizen. 

Put First Things First I spend my time on things that are most important.  This means I say no to things I know I should not do.  I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan.  I am disciplined and organized.
Think Win-Win I balance courage for getting what i want with consideration for what others want.  I make deposits in others' Emotional Bank Accounts.  When conflicts arise, I look for third alternatives. 
Seek First To Understand, Then Be Understood I listen to other people's ideas and feelings.  i try to see things their points of view.  I listen to others without interrupting.  I am confident in voicing my ideas.  I look people in the eyes when talking.
Synergize I value other people's strengths and learn from them.  I get along well with others, even people who are different than me.  I work well in groups.  I seek out other people's ideas to solve problems because I know that by teaming with other's we can create better solutions that any one of us alone.  I am humble.
Sharpen The Saw I take care of my body by eating right a, exercising, and getting sleep.  I spend time with family and friends.  I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just at school.  I take time to find meaningful ways to help others.



I have also started my own Pinterest 7 Habits Board with more ideas {here}.

Our school district has had all administrators go through a 7 Habits training, and it looks very positive that my entire district will be moving towards becoming 7 Habits schools.  I am curious to know if your school uses the 7 Habits and would love to hear your experiences.  


Rest in peace Stephen Covey and may your legacy continue on.

3 comments:

  1. I just heard about that last night. How sad! I got to visit a Leader in Me school last year and we are going to start a book study. I so wish our school could afford the real deal. Excited to follow you as see what you do with the 7 habits. =)

    Emily @ Second Grade Silliness 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it just awesome seeing a Leader in Me school! The one we saw was a new school that was in it's 2nd year, and had been doing it since they opened. I don't think they actually went to a Leader in Me Training. It looks like our principal may do some professional development on the 7 Habits.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete